Teenagers aren’t the only demographic that battles with self-confidence. Adults struggle to maintain high self-esteem too, especially when they’re self-conscious about their teeth. Your smile can affect your overall health and happiness – and if you’re not doing much smiling because of how your teeth look or function, you will not achieve the level of contentment you could. Find out how a smile makeover can make all the difference.
The Science Behind Smiling
The seemingly simple act of smiling is actually a very powerful thing. The neurotransmitters of dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and endorphins are released by the brain when a person smiles. These motivating, feel-good hormones help a person enjoy their life, feel important, and build relationships.
Some of the physical and psychological benefits of smiling include:
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves immune function
- Better mood
- Stress relief
- Pain relief
- Increases life span
- Decreases anxiety and depression
It would follow then that if your smile is lacking and you’re hyperaware of its flaws and effect on your appearance, your health as well as your happiness and satisfaction will take a hit.
Create Confidence with a Smile Makeover
Smile makeovers come in all shapes and sizes. They are customized to every patient and can be as big or as small as you need or want them to be. What’s most important is correcting the components of your oral health that are broken, damaged, or unhealthy, and beautifying what is unsightly or breaking down. All of this can be done through your Manhattan cosmetic dentist.
Some of the most common procedures in a smile makeover include:
- Teeth whitening: When you want a quick, impactful transformation, bleaching the teeth with a professional whitening treatment will create the illusion of flawless teeth.
- Porcelain veneers: For those ready to invest in a major upgrade, veneers are customized in size, shape, and color to look natural and truly perfect.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Sometimes a small tweak with a composite filling can make all the difference, whether you’re filling a gap or repairing a damaged tooth.
- Porcelain crowns: Sometimes teeth need to be covered up to conceal what’s wrong with them. Crowns make teeth more robust while beautifying them at the same time.
The Benefits of Customized Cosmetic Dentistry
Many people don’t smile as readily as they might wish to because they’re always aware of their broken, crooked, missing, or discolored teeth. A less-than-perfect smile can rob you of your confidence and many other health benefits. With the help of your New York City cosmetic dentist Dr. Michael J. Wei, you can get a smile makeover using cosmetic dentistry, restorative dentistry, and other appropriate procedures to create the flawless smile you’ve always wanted.
Your smile makeover will make you look younger, happier, and healthier. You will feel more attractive and desirable and capable. Watch your professional and personal life soar when your smile is transformed. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Wei at his Midtown dental office or submit a Smile Virtual request with your photo and receive a personalized video message from Dr. Wei.