People who are thinking about getting porcelain veneers may worry about choosing the right color for their new teeth. After all, no one who elects to undergo a smile makeover wants their upgraded teeth to look fake. Working with a patient Manhattan cosmetic dentist means you will be guided carefully and meticulously through the decision-making process so you end up with a gleaming, white, flawless smile.
Color Characteristics of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are not one-size-fits-all. There are many characteristics to consider when deciding what your porcelain veneers should look like. This aesthetic enhancement for your teeth is customized down to every little detail, of which color is a major factor.
Here are the details you need to keep in mind as your make decisions about the color composition of your veneers.
- Your veneers can be too white. You’re looking for whiter teeth, obviously, but veneers that are too white will look unnatural. Only some people can pull off the brightest white and your dentist will let you know if you’re one of them.
- Multiple facial characteristics count. It’s not just your teeth that matter when it comes to getting veneers – your skin tone, the shape of your smile, the shape of your face, and even the whites of your eyes will all influence the final color of your veneers, no matter what shade you choose. The contrast should be flattering, not obvious.
- Know who you are. Your age and gender play a role in the best shade of veneers (and in their shape too). Should your teeth be whiter the younger you are? It’s up to you and your dentist.
- Understand translucency. Porcelain veneers are incredibly strong, but they are also incredibly thin. The translucency of your veneers is what allows allow light to shine through.
- Really understand translucency. The translucent element of your veneers is what has your normal teeth underneath the veneers playing a major role. If your teeth are yellow, you may need a soft white porcelain. If your enamel is dark, a more opaque veneers may be the best choice.
- Your dentist will explain “value.” Value is essentially the term used to describe the brightness of our veneers. When value and translucency are combined with color, they create a balanced, natural-looking tone.
Choose Color Carefully
Your cosmetic dentist is there to keep you on the right path, answer your questions, and ensure that you are designing the best smile makeover possible. Your dentist will voice plenty of opinions about the choices you make for all the characteristics of your veneers. You also must consider the type of veneer that is best for your smile goals and budget – Lumineers and prepless veneers are also options.
Ultimately, the way your porcelain veneers are customized is up to you. Take your time when making your decisions about color – there is no going back once your veneers are permanently bonded in place.
Ready to Talk Porcelain Veneers?
If you want good-looking porcelain veneers, you need a good cosmetic dentist. Plenty of dentists offer veneers, but only some dentists have the expertise to create the look you want. When you are ready to discuss veneers and find out if you’re a good candidate for this life-altering smile makeover, schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael J. Wei at his Midtown Manhattan dental office on Madison Avenue.