Smile Makeover Durability
When you get a smile makeover, you should be proud to show it off, and you should be confident about the strength of your new smile. If they are well done, dental procedures that enhance the appearance of or improve the function of your smile should last for a very long time. When you work with Midtown Manhattan smile makeover dentist Dr. Michael J. Wei, you will be in the hands of a perfectionist, and you will never have to question your smile makeover durability.
Longevity of Cosmetic Dentistry and Restorative Dentistry
A smile makeover is an investment. You want your investment to pay dividends, making you look younger, happier, and healthier. One of the worst situations a dental patient can experience is undergoing cosmetic or restorative dentistry, only to have those changes fail soon after.
Certainly, many dental procedures have a limited lifespan. Dentures, for instance, will eventually need to be replaced as the mouth adjusts to the dentures or the wearer’s oral health changes. This is an acceptable and expected occurrence. Depending on the age when you undergo a smile makeover, you may never need an upgrade.
Here is what you can expect when it comes to the longevity of common smile makeover procedures:
- Dental implants. The strongest restorative dentistry solution, dental implants can potentially last a lifetime. The crown, or abutment, that is placed atop the implant, however, may require replacement after a few decades.
- Porcelain veneers. This cosmetic dentistry solution can last for about 15 years or more. As the dental porcelain used for porcelain veneers becomes even stronger, the lifespan of veneers could increase significantly in the future.
- Lumineers. Made with incredibly durable dental porcelain, just like veneers, Lumineers can last for decades. Both Lumineers and veneers are considered two of the most worthwhile and financially savvy smile makeovers because they are so versatile. Veneers can act like teeth whitening, Invisalign, and crowns, all at the same time.
- Porcelain crowns. Dental crowns should last between 10 to 15 years. If properly maintained, the life of porcelain dental crowns could be extended far beyond a decade.
- Teeth whitening. One of the most popular smile makeover procedures because of its efficiency and cost, professional teeth whitening can last for up to three years before any change in color of enamel becomes noticeable.
Factors That Affect Smile Makeover Durability
If you take good care of your teeth and gums and keep up with dental exams and cleanings twice a year, properly done smile makeovers can last for decades.
However, no matter how well a smile makeover is done, teeth are still susceptible to damage, force, and pressure. Though many smile makeover procedures are resistant to staining, chipping, and cracking, there are still factors that impact the durability of a smile makeover, including:
- Dental hygiene, including brushing, flossing, and regular dental check-ups. Lack of oral hygiene can lead to periodontal disease, which will jeopardize the health of your entire smile.
- Mouth location of the cosmetic or restorative enhancements. Implants in the back of the mouth do more chewing work and undergo greater strain.
- Preexisting medical conditions or diseases, like cancer or diabetes.
- Damage from an accident, fall, or sports injury.
- Bad habits, like nail biting, chewing ice, or using teeth as a tool to open packages.
- Teeth grinding, also known as bruxism.
- Normal wear and tear from biting and chewing.
Say Yes to a Durable NYC Smile Makeover
A durable smile makeover begins by choosing the right cosmetic dentist. Midtown Manhattan dentist Dr. Michael J. Wei creates flawless, long-lasting smile makeovers that are customized to each patient. He takes into consideration the health of your teeth and gums and your budget, lifestyle, timeline, and smile goals. The smile makeover Dr. Wei designs for you will be appropriate for your needs, complement your appearance, and make you feel like a powerful, new version of yourself, the best version. Contact Dr. Wei today to schedule your consultation for a smile makeover.