People with a gummy smile either embrace this characteristic or wish they could change it. If you fall into the latter category, you’ll be delighted to know that there is a very good chance you can transform your gummy smile into a proportional one with the help of a laser gum lift and other cosmetic dentistry treatments.
Causes of a Gummy Smile
Before you can qualify for a laser gum lift, your NYC dentist needs to determine the cause of your gummy smile – often referred to as excessive gingival display. Here are the five most common reasons for a gummy smile:
- Poorly erupted teeth: Your adult teeth did not fully erupt and remain partially covered by gum tissue. This creates the illusion of short-looking teeth and a gummy smile.
- Jaw growth: The upper jaw is overgrown in a condition known as vertical maxillary excess, and this causes the gums to bulge out.
- Lip size: If your upper lip is too short, or hypermobile, or it lifts too high when you smile (hyperactive), then more gum tissue will show.
- Genetics: Sometimes you simply have DNA that results in an excess amount of gum tissue showing.
- Enlarged gums: Gingival hypertrophy, or gingival enlargement, is also known as gum overgrowth. This is a common feature of gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease, which means you will need periodontal treatment to correct the infection in your gums before your smile can be truly evaluated for any cosmetic dentistry treatments.
Some patients with a mild gingival display may receive a recommendation to get Invisalign or orthodontics to help shift their bite into the correct position. This effort, combined with a laser gum lift, permanently repairs a gummy smile. For anyone with a severely protruding jaw, orthognathic surgery may be necessary.
Eliminate a Gummy Smile with a Laser Gum Lift
The proportion of gum-to-tooth can be altered through a laser gum lift that reshapes your gum line so your smile is balanced. Here are the details:
- Sophisticated: A precise and accurate dental laser makes gum recontouring easy and comfortable.
- Gentle: A minimally invasive requires only a local anesthetic to reshape the gum line quickly and gently.
- Powerful: The removal of gum tissue exposes tooth enamel for a dramatic smile makeover.
Many patients combine gum recontouring with porcelain veneers to eliminate their gummy smile, lengthen their short teeth, and create a truly flattering and symmetrical smile makeover that is even more impactful than one created by the laser gum lift alone.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Laser Gum Lift?
If you are dissatisfied with your gummy smile, schedule an appointment with Midtown cosmetic dentist Dr. Michael J. Wei to find out whether you are a good candidate for a laser gum lift and other cosmetic dentistry treatments.
Dr. Wei is experienced at creating new smiles and he examines all the components of your smile – from teeth to gums, jaw to lips, cheeks to chin – to ensure that they will work in harmony with any dental changes. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.