Some people have smiles that are all teeth. Others have smiles that are all gums. If you feel like your smile is disproportionate in any way, there are cosmetic dentistry treatments that can transform it into a symmetrical part of your appearance. Gummy smiles are easy to edit with treatments like a laser gum lift.
How Does a Laser Gum Lift Work?
The goal of a laser gum lift is to reshape the gum line and reveal more tooth than soft tissue. The procedure is easy and minimally invasive – only a local anesthetic is necessary – so you don’t have to worry about discomfort during the treatment or extensive recovery time.
A sophisticated dental laser is used to recontour your gum line. Your Manhattan cosmetic dentist reshapes the gum line quickly and comfortably – but also meticulously – until the right amount of excess gum tissue is eliminated and more tooth enamel is exposed. Your smile becomes bigger and broader and more beautiful. The results are immediate and dramatic.
Who Can Get a Laser Gum Lift?
If you have long been bothered by your gummy smile and wished for more tooth enamel and less gum tissue to show when you smile or speak, you’re probably a good candidate for a laser gum lift. Your NYC cosmetic dentist will let you know for sure after a thorough examination, but here are some the reasons patients easily qualify:
- Short teeth: If your adult teeth didn’t erupt fully, they will look short because they’re partially covered by gum tissue.
- Odd lip size: An upper lip that is too short is known as a hypermobile lip. An upper lip that lifts too high when you smile is considered hyperactive. In both cases, excess gum tissue will show.
- Excess jaw growth: When the upper jaw is overgrown, the gums can bulge out, also known as vertical maxillary excess.
- Genetics: Sometimes your DNA simply determines that you’ll have more gum tissue than tooth enamel showing.
Alternatives or Add-Ons to Gum Recontouring
Not every person with a gummy smile is a good candidate for gum recontouring, and some patients achieve that appealing and balanced smile by combining laser gum treatments with another cosmetic dentistry treatment. The goal is to create an appealing and balanced smile no matter what, and that can happen with:
- Porcelain veneers: Short teeth? Your dentist can make them look longer with customized porcelain veneers that are carefully designed in size, shape, color, and length for a stellar tooth-to-gum ratio.
- Invisalign: Sometimes it’s a bite problem that causes a mild gingival display and a quick course of Invisalign can shift the bite into its proper position.
Get a Laser Gum Lift Near Me in Midtown
As you make decisions about your smile and how you want it to look, make sure you’re working with a cosmetic dentist who is experienced in making sure all the components of a person’s smile work in harmony. Dr. Michael J. Wei will review your oral health, your smile goals, and the positioning and appearance of your teeth and gums before making recommendations about the best way to transform your gummy smile. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.