One of the biggest questions Manhattan dental patients have about smile makeovers is how long the procedures take. The answer, of course, depends on the type of cosmetic dentistry or restorative dentistry you choose to undergo. It is possible, however, to provide estimates about the timeline of your individual smile makeover.
Cosmetic and Restorative Procedures in Smile Makeovers
- Teeth whitening: In just about an hour in the dentist’s chair, you can have a whiter, brighter, lighter, healthier-looking smile with teeth whitening.
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers usually require two to three visits to your Midtown Manhattan cosmetic dentist to complete the treatment. There is time scheduled in between visits so that permanent veneers can be constructed by and received from our dental lab.
- Invisalign braces: Invisalign patients typically wear the series of nearly invisible aligners for about a year. Every patient’s teeth will move at different rates. Compliance with the prescribed orthodontic treatment plan will impact the success and speed of Invisalign treatment as well.
- Tooth bonding: Cosmetic tooth bonding is a three-step process – resin application, sculpting, and polishing – that takes only one visit to your dentist to complete.
- Lumineers: Like porcelain veneers, Cerinate Lumineers often take two to three visits to your dentist to complete. They are a popular, pain-free option for a smile makeover.
- Dental implants: Since dental implants require surgery to place the actual implant, the surgical area must first heal, a process that could take several weeks, before the prosthetic tooth can be put into place. In general, dental implants take two to three visits to your Manhattan restorative dentist.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Composite dental fillings take just one visit to your dentist to complete. Plus, tooth-colored fillings are mercury-free, making them the safest choice for smile restoration
- Porcelain tooth crowns: The completion of porcelain tooth crowns usually takes two visits to the dentist. While you’re waiting for your permanent crown to be customized for your smile, a temporary crown will be put in place so you can chew and speak normally.
Keep in mind that dental cleanings and exams take less than an hour to complete. Keeping up with preventive care helps your teeth, gums, and mouth stay healthy and minimizes the need for restorative dentistry procedures. Regular visits to your Manhattan dentist will help identify any new issues that may have developed and prevent them from becoming big problems.
How to Speed Up Your Smile Makeover
Any patients who would like to undergo a smile makeover but are wary of the amount of time it will take to get the repairs they want will be happy to know that sedation dentistry is an option. This method of “gentle dentistry” removes the anxiety from your dental visit by putting you in a deep state of relaxation. Oral sedation not only makes apprehensive patients feel better about their dental procedures, a calm patient makes it far easier for a Manhattan cosmetic dentist to complete repairs more quickly and carry out multiple procedures at one time.
Remember, every smile makeover is customized to the patient. Your mouth, teeth, and smile are unique to you. If you are looking for information about your very own smile makeover, schedule a consultation with Dr. Michael J. Wei at his Midtown Manhattan dental practice. Contact us today to make your appointment.