It’s age, you say. I’ve spent years drinking coffee and wine, you say. That’s just how my teeth look, you say. There are plenty of excuses for stained, discolored, broken-down teeth, but that doesn’t mean you must live with a smile you don’t love. Pursuing a smile makeover helps restore your faith in yourself. Stop hiding and start smiling.
If you need a reason to get a smile makeover, here are eight. Do you recognize yourself in any of them?
- Old amalgam fillings. Amalgam fillings darken teeth over time. The mercury component is brutal on teeth and gums, not to mention toxic to the rest of your body. Composite, tooth-colored fillings are natural looking and more secure.
- Deteriorating teeth: Teeth may begin to deteriorate because of age alone, but amalgam fillings are also responsible for destroying teeth. Silver fillings contract and expand at a rate that is greater than your natural tooth, pushing the tooth to the breaking point, causing cracks and, potentially, infections. A porcelain crown can put a cap on crumbling teeth to strengthen them and safeguard nearby teeth at the same time.
- Broken and cracked teeth. Trauma, age, bad habits – anything could be responsible for a broken or cracked tooth. While the source of the problem is important, addressing broken and cracked teeth sooner rather than later is essential to avoid even more complex oral health conditions.
- Infected teeth. Tooth pain means something is not right in your mouth, and it isn’t going to get better without intervention. Perhaps you had a hairline crack on a tooth and you missed your dental exam and cleaning and the area has been allowed to fester for months. Those seemingly small facts could earn you a root canal or even cost you a tooth. Maybe gum disease has settled in quite thoroughly – only your Manhattan cosmetic dentist can tell you for sure.
- Exposed nerves at the gum line. Gum recession is a common affliction, and it can develop over time because of age, or it may grow steadily for people who grind and clench their teeth. As your gums move back and expose more of the tooth structure underneath, you put yourself at risk for developing gum disease.
- Stained teeth. A professional teeth-whitening treatment can blast away the stain molecules that have settled in your tooth enamel, making your teeth shades whiter in about an hour. However, some people will not have success with teeth whitening because their problems are deeper. Some patients simply have yellower teeth, or their enamel has thinned so much that the dentin underneath is shining through. In situations like this, porcelain veneers or Lumineers are your best choice.
- Obvious crowns. Modern crowns should blend right in with your smile in shape, size, and color. No one ever needs to know that you had this restorative dentistry correction. If your old crowns are making themselves known through no fault of you own, it’s time to consider replacement crowns.
- Hate your smile. You’ve kept up with cleanings and basic repairs for years, but you still hate your smile. You feel like changing your smile now is a hopeless cause. We are here to tell you that a smile makeover can be yours.
Even though it feels like you have an overwhelming number of dental problems, many dental complaints qualify for the same solution. If you’re embarrassed about presenting your broken-down smile to Dr. Michael J. Wei, don’t be. You may think your teeth are a mess, but allow us to reassure you: We have seen it all. Truly, we have seen every possible type of gnarly smile. It’s our job to beautify your teeth and gums. Whether we make it happen through restorative dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, or both, the goal is for you to leave our dental office with a new smile that you absolutely adore. Make your appointment with Dr. Wei, NYC cosmetic dentist, to discover which smile makeover procedures are right for your smile.